Chicken noodle soup has a special place in my heart. It is one of the few foods I could eat repeatedly without getting tired. It’s also what I make whenever I need to cure any sickness or sadness. And if you tell me you’re feeling down or looking for an easy recipe to make for your weeknight rotations, I would recommend this go-to recipe for chicken noodle soup.
The best part about this soup is the simplicity– Low Effort for Maximum Yield of Deliciousness. This recipe doesn’t require store bought chicken stock, uses 1 stockpot, and it’s easy to gather up all the main ingredients if you know Beyonce’s* favorite number…. 4!
For 6 servings (or enough for 4 very hungry people), I need 4 chicken leg quarters, 4 carrots, 4 celery stalks, 4 onion halves**, 4 Tbsp of chopped parsley and 4 cups of noodles.
The Chicken Noodle Soup
Total Time: 1 Hour Active Time: 15 Minutes
4 chicken leg quarters, bone-in and skin-on (about 3 lbs)
4 cups dry wide egg noodles (about ½ lb)
4 celery stalks, chopped into ¼ in. pieces
4 medium carrots, sliced into ¼ in. rounds
2 medium yellow onions, diced
4 Tbsp parsley, finely chopped
2 dried bay leaves
1 Tbsp salt
1 tsp black pepper
1 tsp dried thyme (optional)
1. In a large stockpot, bring 6 cups of water to a boil. Add 2 Tbsp salt and egg noodles. Cook noodles for 3-4 mins, stirring the pot occasionally until pasta is al dente.
2. While pasta is cooking, wash and chop all the vegetables, keeping the onion, celery and carrot together in a bowl. (Don’t forget to keep stirring the noodles.)
3. When noodles reach al dente, drain and reserve noodles in colander. Rinse the stockpot with more water to remove excess starch, then place it back on stove top over medium heat, adding 2 Tbsp canola oil to the pot.
4. Add onion-celery-carrot mixture, 1 Tbsp salt, 1 tsp pepper, and 1 tsp thyme (optional) to the stockpot, stirring occasionally and cooking for 3 minutes or until onions are translucent.
5. Add chicken legs, 6-8 cups of water (enough to cover the chicken legs), and bay leaves to stockpot. Allow mixture to come to a boil, then lower heat and cover with lid. Simmer for 45 minutes or until chicken is falling off the bone.
6. Turn off heat, remove chicken legs from soup and place into bowl. Shred meat using 2 forks into bite sized pieces. Remove bones and add chicken meat back to stockpot.
**If you’re meal prepping for later, you can store the noodles and the chicken soup in separate containers to prevent the noodles from bloating and soaking up all your delicious broth.**
7. When ready to eat, stir in cooked pasta noodles and chopped parsley. Portion into bowls and devour 🙂
Once you try homemade chicken noodle soup, there’s no going back to the canned supermarket soup. And once you learn how to make it for yourself, you too may find yourself eating 3 bowls in one sitting…
*Speaking of Beyonce, Love on Top is my ode to Chicken Noodle Soup and should be played on full volume while making this recipe for optimal results.
**Technically it’s 2 onions, but let’s call it 4 onion halves… I like the 4.